When the SHTF, there will be mayhem and mass hysteria, making a healthy repertoire of homemade explosives a worthy addition to your post disaster arsenal. However, we highly stress this information is not to be used until AFTER the shit hits the fan. Failure to comply will land you some serious charges with a considerable amount of jail time, not to mention the possibility of harm to yourself and others. This guide outlines basic mixtures of simple household items that can cause substantial damage in a variety of uses; disabling vehicles, clearing rooms, diversions and etc.
Homemade Explosives – Molotov Cocktail
Molotov cocktails are one of the most well known homemade explosives across the world. Known for their simplicity, Molotov cocktails can be made from various and common ingredients. Typically these can be used as an RCA (riot control agent), structure demolition, and many other diverse uses. The disadvantage of molotovs is their limited range (the distance you can throw them) and the burn duration (relatively low), and the depletion of resources (when at risk).
- Glass bottle or glass container to shatter upon impact, allowing the ignited accelerate to quickly engulf its target
- Motor Oil 25% mixed with Gasoline 50%
- One Styrofoam cup ripped into 1/4in x 1/4in pieces, which is not required for ignition
- Use a rag to ignite the accelerate, which can be dipped in gasoline (not drenched) enough to create a controlled ignition. Roughly 14in long fuses made of cloth should be wedged tightly through the opening, with 7in inside and 7in outside
- Light the end of the fuse after you’ve identified your target and throw it immediately
Homemade Explosives – Pipe bomb
Pipe bombs have been a favorite in the backwoods of Kentucky and the mountains of Colorado, due to their simplicity and a substantial increase in device control. Pipe bombs are extremely illegal and even the materials required to make a pipe bomb are illegal in some states. The disadvantage of pipe bombs for a first time manufacturer is the likeliness of device failure due to gas build up.
- You will need a 12in x 3in water pipe with fitted metal end caps that screw firmly to the ends of the cylinder, creating a relatively tight seal. You can find these in abandoned/raided hardware stores, throughout several home plumbing systems and etc
- At the center of the pipe you will need to drill a hole 1/16 in diameter.
- Screw one end of the cap to the pipe. Now feed a magnesium based fuse through your 1/16in hole the whole length of the pipe
- Fill the pipe up with black powder that can be acquired at hardware stores, unneeded ammunition in a caliber you are unable to use, and certain fireworks
- For added impact you can use; nails, spent razors, bearings and other miscellaneous items as shrapnel which will be dispersed in an uneven radius up to 100ft
- Light the fuse, throw at your target and run like hell if it’s short (4in), if it’s a timed fused (15in or more) always stay outside the 100ft blast radius or behind adequate cover
Homemade Explosives – Acetone Peroxide
One of the easiest homemade explosives to make, it is also extremely volatile while very powerful. Extreme caution must be present at all times and the use of this solution should be taken under serious debate, outweighing to pros to the cons.
- Mix 650ml acetone with 1000ml hydrogen peroxide in a glass gar.
- Place the jar inside a freezer or ice chest for at least 5 minutes.
- While waiting for the solution to cool in one jar, add 500ml muriatic acid (see pool supplies) to a separate jar of equal size. Now set this jar (cover opening with cloth) in the freezer for two hours.
- After two hours, mix all solutions in one jar and freeze for an addition 24 hours thus creating acetone peroxide. You can verify the process is complete when a white layer has formed at the base of the jar.
- Use as soon as possible, preferably with delayed detonation.
Homemade Explosives – Mercury Fulminate
To prepare mercury fulminate in the absence of proper detonating devices;
- Mix 5gr mercury with 35ml nitric acid.
- Heat gradually until the solution bubbles and turns green.
- Pour into a small flask full of ethyl alcohol producing red fumes.
- In 30min when red fumes turn white.
- After 3min slowly add distilled water.
- Extract small white crystals which are mercury fulminate, wash the samples several time and test with litmus paper to remove undesirable acid.
Homemade Explosives – Diversion Smoke Bomb
Smoke bombs are a relative solution of potassium nitrate and sugar, potassium nitrate can be found in hardware stores as a raw material or it can be found in stump remover. Smoke bombs can be used as diversions, provide defensive cover and offensive screens.
- Pour about 3 parts potassium nitrate KNO3 to 2 parts sugar into the skillet (5:3 ratio is also good). Measurements don’t need to be exact, but you want more KNO3 than sugar. For example, you can use 1-1/2 cups KNO3 and 1 cup sugar. If you use equal amounts of KNO3 and sugar, your smoke bomb will be harder to light and will burn more slowly. As you approach the 5:3 KNO3:sugar ratio, you get a smoke bomb that burns more quickly.
- Apply low heat to the pan. Stir the mixture with a spoon using long strokes. If you see the grains of sugar starting to melt along the edges where you are stirring, remove the pan from the heat and reduce the temperature before continuing.
- Basically you are caramelizing sugar. The mixture will melt and become a caramel or chocolate color. Continue heating/stirring until the ingredients are liquefied. Remove from heat.
- Pour the liquid onto a piece of foil. You can pour a smaller amount onto a separate piece, to test the batch. You can pour the smoke bomb into any shape, onto an object, or into a mold. The shape and size will affect the burning pattern.
- Allow the smoke bomb to cool, then you can peel it off the foil.
- You can also increase the amount of materials used in equal parts in larger containers and canisters.
This article has been read  times.